Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dark Chocolate Souffles


My family pretty much eats dessert every night. Usually during the week, dessert consists of some fresh cut fruit and a cookie. On the weekends I like to get a little more elaborate and when I can find a great dessert recipe like this one, that is still kind to my waistline, I get really excited. The stats on this dessert, per serving, are impressive: 140 calories, 2 grams fat, 25 g carbs ....

The recipe comes from the New Dieters Cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens. I haven't bought a diet cookbook in a long time, because I find its not too hard to lighten a recipe on your own with a little experimentation, but I am really glad I decided to pick this one up. I haven't been disappointed by a recipe from this book yet.

Mario's verdict: "Wow, I'm impressed, Soufflés are hard to make".

Interesting. There are a few things fundamentally wrong with this. First, I am almost 100% certain, Mario had never made a soufflé in his life (nor whipped an egg white) so I don't think he is qualified to judge the degree of difficulty, and second... HELLOOO, he's impressed? Did he think I couldn't do it?

Dark Chocolate Soufflés
serves 8
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp instant coffee granules
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
sifted icing sugar for decoration

1. Lightly coat 8 ramekins with cooking spray. Mix 2 tbsp of sugar with the instant coffee and sprinkle all over insides of ramekins. Set aside.

2. In a saucepan, stir 1/2 cup of the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and flour. Stir in milk and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in slightly beaten egg yolks.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

4. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Spoon into ramekins.

5. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve immediately.

source:
janetishungry.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

SITE INFO

Blog Archive

BLOG STATISTIC

Recipe Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog search directory Food & Drink Business Directory - BTS Local Food & Drink blogs Chefs Blogs Listed in LS Blogs the Blog Directory and Blog Search Engine Powered by  MyPagerank.Net Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net Yahoo bot last visit powered by  Ybotvisit.com Add to Technorati Favorites